Disney’s 100th Anniversary Super Bowl Announcement
Written by Jamie Griffiths on February 12, 2023
Disney’s 100th Anniversary Super Bowl Announcement
The Walt Disney Company marks its 100th anniversary on 16th October 2023, and throughout the year, will celebrate the fans and storytellers who have sparked the joy and magic that is Disney over the last 100 years. Today, Disney honors those fans and creators with a special commercial debuting during Super Bowl LVII that spotlights 100 years of unrivaled storytelling and innovation.
“As we commemorate our historic 100th anniversary, it is remarkable to look back at Walt Disney’s legacy and his relentless pursuit of excellence that continue to propel the Company forward today. We are incredibly grateful to the generations of people all over the world for being such a special part of our history and for inviting our stories and characters into their lives over the past century,” said Disney CEO Bob Iger. “Disney100 represents a celebration of all of our fans and families, and our storytellers and creative visionaries whose talents and imaginations have created the magical moments that make Disney such an enduring part of the global culture.”
The “Disney100 – Special Look” features scenes from iconic Disney films, series, stage productions, theme parks, and fans, as well as a collection of inspiring words from Walt Disney, calling on the shared memories and nostalgia that have given Disney a special place in the hearts of audiences across the globe.
The debut of “Disney100 – Special Look” during the big game is an exciting milestone for Disney – with a year full of opportunities for fans and families of all ages to relive their most beloved Disney memories and to delight in new, heartwarming stories and experiences. On Friday 17th February, the newest Marvel Studios film, Ant Man and The Wasp: Quantumania, will debut in theaters. Then, on Saturday 18th February, Disney100: The Exhibition will have its world premiere in Philadelphia, with the European premiere taking place in Munich on 18th April 2023 before the exhibition heads to the ExCel in London in autumn. Disney100: The Exhibition will take guests on a journey through Disney’s past, immersing them in the beloved stories that have been entertaining the world since 1923. Disney will open its vault of treasures to showcase hundreds of extraordinary pieces of history, including rarely seen original artworks, artefacts, costumes, props and other memorabilia.
Global audiences can enjoy an amazing slate of theatrical releases from our renowned studios, including Disney, Pixar, Marvel Studios, Lucasfilm, and more, coming through the rest of the year. From The Little Mermaid and Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 in May, to Elemental, Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny, The Marvels, and The Haunted Mansion this summer, both long-beloved characters and new stories will come to life on the big screen. Then, on 22nd November 2023, Walt Disney Animation Studios will debut Wish, an original animated musical film only in theaters.
The Disney100 celebrations across the UK and Europe include:
Disney100: The Concert
• A multimedia concert experience that features seminal music moments from Disney’s history including songs from Beauty & the Beast, Mary Poppins and Encanto and highlights from the worlds of Pixar, Star Wars and Marvel. UK, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Italy, Norway, Sweden and France dates are already live and concerts will also take place in South Africa, Poland and the Czech Republic throughout 2023.
• The UK-wide arena tour will take place from 31st May – 8th June in Glasgow, Leeds, Liverpool, London, Manchester, Birmingham, Cardiff, and Bournemouth. Tickets are on sale from 10am on 28th October. The European leg of the arena tour will kick off in Kiel, Germany, on 13th April before going on to 16 other venues over three weeks across Germany, Switzerland, and Austria. The concert also travels to Europe’s biggest show venue – Paris’ La Defense Arena – on 11th and 12th November.
Disney100: The Exhibition
• Disney100: The Exhibition will take guests on a journey through Disney’s past, immersing them in the beloved stories that have been entertaining the world since 1923. Disney will open its vault of treasures to showcase hundreds of extraordinary pieces of history, including rarely seen original artworks, artefacts, costumes, props and other memorabilia.
• Disney100: The Exhibition will premiere in the US, starting in Philadelphia in February 2023 before going on to Chicago, Illinois and Kansas City with more locations to be announced.
• Its European premiere will take place in Munich on 18th April 2023 with tickets going on sale soon, before touring across Europe. The Exhibition will come to the ExCeL in London in autumn 2023.
Wonder of Friendship: The Experience
• To mark 100 years of dynamic duos, brave besties and inseparable pals, Disney is opening the doors to an immersive multi-sensory experience that celebrates the Wonder of Friendship. Launching in London from 12th – 21st May, guests will have the chance to venture through 1,000 square metres of different experiences across four rooms, including Alice in Wonderland, Lilo & Stitch, The Lion King and Mickey and Friends. Immersed in the characters’ worlds, visitors can expect to make incredible memories and celebrate their own friendships. The experience is also opening in Berlin from 9th – 18th June and Paris from 30th June – 9th July. Ticket sales will launch early this year.
The Wonder of Play
• Celebrating 100 years of characters, stories and products – including Disney, Pixar, Star Wars, Marvel and National Geographic – this global campaign will encourage families to play more by helping parents and guardians integrate imaginative play into everyday moments and make the most of time together.
• Building on Disneyland Paris’s 30th Anniversary celebrations, Disney’s 100th anniversary will also come to life at the resort. To mark the 100-year anniversary on 16th October 2023, guests will be treated to a one-of-a-kind entertainment program, character performances and exclusive Disney activities throughout the day.
• After 16th October, additional, never-seen-before exclusive activities will also take place at Disneyland Paris as part of the Disney100 celebrations.
• New merchandise collections and collaborations launch this year to commemorate Disney 100 Years of Wonder, debuting on shopDisney.
“Disney100 – Special Look” is also being shown via Disney’s social and TV channels across EMEA, as well as on Disney+. To learn more, head to the official site and share your favourite Disney memories on social media with #Disney100.